As businesses evolve and adapt to changing times, one of the biggest challenges they face is the need for flexible and agile workforce management. With more and more businesses turning to contract workers, onboarding them effectively is becoming increasingly important. Creating a structured onboarding process for contract workers not only helps to ensure that they are equipped to hit the ground running, but also provides numerous benefits to businesses.
When it comes to contract employees, the onboarding process is often lacking in structure and intent or it’s completely automated and lacking the human touch. Overlooking or deprioritizing the integration of contract employees can lead to a number of challenges, such as difficulties with compliance requirements and low morale.
To avoid these issues, companies should insist on a standardized and thoughtful onboarding process for their contract workforce. Here are six compelling reasons why.
1. Increased Productivity & Improved Quality of Work: Proper and systematized onboarding can help contract and freelance workers be more productive with higher quality work. By providing clear expectations, training, and support, companies can minimize the learning curve, helping workers to start working on the project sooner and with greater efficiency.
2. Improved Retention: When new workers feel welcomed and valued, they are more likely to stay with a company longer and become loyal advocates for the business, which will improve retention and serve as an investment towards attracting future contractors and employees.
3. Cost Savings: By investing time and resources upfront to onboard properly, companies can avoid costly mistakes, rework, and delays, while also reducing the risk of workers quitting before completing the project, which can lead to additional recruitment and training costs.
4. Brand Perception: Considering the rise in platforms such as Glassdoor and Indeed, candidates have more information at their disposal when finding and evaluating future opportunities. Lack of structure can frustrate contractors, harming their experience and impacting the organization’s brand perception, potentially deterring future applicants.
5. Stronger Relationships and Community: Building strong relationships with contractors and freelancers can increase the likelihood of the worker accepting future projects with the company, help the company attract new workers through word-of-mouth recommendations, and lead to better communication, collaboration, and innovation on the project. Having a well-structured onboarding process also ensures that workers are familiar with the company’s culture and values.
6. Compliance With Laws and Regulations: Depending on the nature of the work, companies may have legal obligations to provide certain training or documentation to contractors and freelancers, meaning that having a structured onboarding process in place minimizes the risk of legal disputes or fines.
These benefits make it clear that creating a structured onboarding process for contract workers is crucial for any business that utilizes contract labor. However, for businesses that don’t have the time or resources to manage this process themselves, outsourcing to a managed services provider (MSP) or payroll provider like PrideOne can be a smart choice.
PrideOne offers a comprehensive solution for managing contract workers, including an effective onboarding process. With our proven methodology and experienced team, we can help businesses streamline their onboarding process and ensure that their contract workers are productive, engaged, and compliant from day one. Although we leverage the latest technologies, the core of our business is prioritizing human interaction so our clients will always have access to representatives from PrideOne to answer any questions and guide them along the process.
By outsourcing to PrideOne, businesses can reduce costs, increase efficiency, and improve compliance, all while enjoying the benefits of a structured onboarding process for their contract workers. Want to learn more about the PrideOne candidate experience?
Contact us today to set up a discovery call.